At Bone Dry Roofing Company, we are proud to offer commercial roofing systems from three of the world’s top manufacturers: Carlisle SynTec, Johns Manville and Firestone. We are excited to kick off a series where we highlight what each of these manufacturers and roofing systems provide. In today’s post, we’re spotlighting Carlisle SynTec and their EPDM roofing membranes. Other roofing membranes from Carlisle SynTec that we’ll be showcasing in upcoming blog posts are their TPO, PVC and FleeceBACK. We will then continue the series with offerings from Johns Manville and Firestone.
With a company history dating back more than 100 years, Carlisle SynTec Systems introduced its Sure-Seal® EPDM single-ply membrane in the 1960s and the commercial roofing industry was forever changed. Their products also include Sure-Weld® TPO, Sure-Flex™ PVC and FleeceBACK® membranes, plus a host of other solutions (insulation, adhesives, primers membrane cleaners and more).
EPDM Basics and Benefits
If you are new to EPDM membrane roofing, it’s known for its design versatility on low-slope projects and its superior waterproofing protection. The EPDM Roofing Association reports: “EPDM (ethylene propylene diene terpolymer) rubber roofing membrane has been an appealing choice of the low-slope commercial roofing industry for over 40 years.” They go on to say, “EPDM continues to be a top choice of architects, roof consultants and contractors for both new construction and replacement roofing projects.” There are countless benefits to EPDM roofing systems. Here are a few highlighted on the Carlisle SynTec website:
- EPDM roofing systems have a history of being reliable, as they meet and exceed ASTM standards.
- Black EPDM lowers heating costs in northern climates and white EPDM brings cooling costs down in southern climates.
- Lower condensation (and resulting issues) with black EPDM.
- Black EPDM “helps to melt frost, dew, and ice, reduces a roof’s snow load, and dries more quickly than a light-colored roof.”
- EPDM membrane is also resistant to weather damage caused by hail.
Installation and Options
With any roofing system, installation is critical. At Bone Dry, we offer a full-service commercial roofing department able to handle an array of roofing projects (any size and complexity). After the initial contact, we move through our design solution phase, into production, and through our structured close out procedures. An experienced team makes all the difference, especially considering there are more than 150 variations of details available for this particular roofing product.
- For the most stability and protection, a fully adhered system also provides protection from uplift (and adhesives designed for high-wind conditions).
- Ballasted assemblies are a go-to solution for buildings with “large, open rooftops” (think retail stores and warehouses). Installation is described as “fast and easy,” adding to the appeal.
- When moderate winds are taken into consideration, think mechanically fastened systems, “the most widely installed system in commercial roofing.”
- For a secure hold thanks to a suction effect, a vent secured system uses V2T vents to add strength and security.
Products and Accessories
Popular EPDM products and accessories include Sure-Seal EPDM, Sure-Tough EPDM, Sure-White EPDM and FleeceBACK EPDM. The Bone Dry team will tailor product recommendations to your unique needs and the type of assembly your project calls for. Factors taken into consideration include climate and weather, energy-efficiency, performance and resistance to punctures and tears.
Make sure you partner with the best roofing company in your area. Bone Dry Roofing, locally owned and operated in Charleston, SC, Bone Dry Roofing, locally owned and operated in St. Simons, Bone Dry Roofing, locally owned and operated in Athens, GA. You can contact us today to discuss your EPDM membrane roofing needs at 1-855-BONEDRY.